Thursday, April 27, 2006

Forbidden City


Crowds Approaching the Meridian Gate


Corner Tower and Tour Group

My afternoon excursion this week took me to the Forbidden City. (Lynn didn't come, and hasn't been there yet, so I'm sure I'll go again later on.) From my short visit in 1997 I remembered it as a rather soulless place, and my impression wasn't different this time. For my taste, there is too much concrete and too many wide open squares. Many of the building are closed, and others contain dusty displays that you can peer at through dirty windows. Some of the displays in the newly renovated buildings on the west were nice, including one of old musical instruments, although there was no information in English. But I prefer the shade and color of the various palace gardens.


One of the Central Halls and Large Courtyard


Dusty Interior

The features of the Forbidden City that I find most attractive are the the metal (bronze?) statues of guardian beasts and the colorful eaves and patterns of yellow tiled roofs.


Colorful Eaves


Yellow Tiled Roofs


Guardian Statue


Mythical Beast

Parts of the Forbidden City are being renovated under the massive Olympic preparations plan, including the centerpiece, the Hall of Supereme Harmony.


Renovation: a Thorough Job!


Scaffolding on the Hall of Supereme Harmony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home